Song of the Day: Everything Zen by Bush
I’ve been spending a lot of time this summer doing something I really enjoy—hitting the beach. It’s a great time hanging out with family and friends, watching the kids, relaxing, recharging, and writing. Yes, writing! I get so inspired by the sun warm sea breeze and crashing waves.
On the drive down this weekend, I began to reflect on the things I’ve done in my life (it’s a long drive). Many things most people would never dream of doing, especially since there were usually consequences to answer for. (ah…good times, good times…) I also began to think about the things I’d still like to do, most of which do not have aforementioned consequences. Thus, my bucket list was born.
I might add that had I created a bucket list sooner, I would have already fulfilled most of it. But, oh, as we age, we realize we are not invincible and I would never again entertain the idea of skydiving. Now, I consider myself a go-getter. Don’t dare me to do something. I’ll likely do it. However, if you dare me to do something that might get me arrested, like ride the airport luggage carousel after a week long RWA conference (thanks Sarah), I’ll probably think twice. Besides, I was too tired. This time.
- Be a best-selling author – Well, duh!
- Learn to surf – Cowabunga, dude!
- Learn to scuba dive – how cool to swim a sunken ship wreck site!
- Swim with dolphins – They call him Flipper, Flipper…
- Ride in a gondola boat in Venice – So romantic
- See Rome & Pompeii – A MUST before I die!
- See the Eiffel tower at night – *le sigh*
- Learn to drive a boat – Five passenger’s set sail that day for a 3 hour tour…
- Drive in a demolition derby – Does this surprise you? I have plenty of real-world experience. Just ask my insurance agent.
- Go to a masquerade ball – And look as hot as Kate Beckinsale in Van Helsing
- Retire to a Caribbean island – This WILL happen!
- Be nominated for a Rita award – I dream of this
You may notice a few of these have a central theme—water. The older I’ve become, the more I realize how much fun, relaxation, wonder, youthfulness, and peace I have when around the sea. It drives me to accomplish my list all the more important.
Funny thing about my list. I was chatting about it with friends Saturday as we were puttering around the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway with the kids. When I mentioned learning to drive a boat, Captain Tracy insisted on giving me a captain’s quickie. Not that kind of quickie. Sheesh. He showed me how to work the throttle and steer his boat, the Billy Club, through the canals.
At first, I was nervous and ramrod stiff. I’ll reference my crack about the insurance agent as to why. I started to get the hang of it. Soon, we were back at out destination and I was ready to relinquish the wheel. But Captain Tracy insisted I dock. WTF? I think the sun had gotten to him. Much to the surprise of everyone on land (the cringing and backing away didn’t help, guys), I did it! Okay, so Captain Tracy handled the throttle. But I steered it, damn it! And no insurance agent had to be called.
I’m adding another item to my bucket list. Buy a boat!
What’s on your bucket list? Let me hear from you!