– Oreos are 102 years old. That’s right, they came on the market in 1912.
– They originally came in two flavors, regular and lemon meringue. The second one wasn’t a favorite and faded out in the 1920s.
– It is still the world’s most popular cookie selling in over 100 countries.
– When they first came out, they were sold by the pound and cost .30 per pound.
– There ARE other flavors of Oreos! In China, there is green tea ice cream Oreos. In Argentina, there are dulche de leche and bananna flavors.
– It takes 59 minutes to make an Oreo.
– Even though it has a creamy filling, it’s on the list of being “accidentally vegan”.
– Oreos became Kosher in 1997. It took 3 years to convert over and was EXTREMELY pricey to do. Why was it not Kosher? It was made with pig lard at one point.
– Eating this cookie is also a personality test. Twisters are sensitive, artistic and trendy. Biters are easy-going and self confident. Dunkers tend to be adventurous and social. Who knew?
– The origin of the name has been lost. Some same it was derived from the french word or meaning gold. The were originally sold in a gold box.
– If you laid out all the Oreo cookies sold, it would go around the earth 381 times!
– Each cookie has 12 dashes, 12 flowers, and 12 dots on it.