Since politicians are beginning to throw their hat into the ring for the next election, I thought you might enjoy some facts about past presidents. There’s a couple of doozies!
– George Washington refused his salary while President for awhile, but eventually agreed to take it. He made $25,000 per year. That was a ton of money back then!
– John Adams and Thomas Jefferson were friends, but were very competitive with each other. The story goes that John Adams’ last words were “Thomas Jefferson survives”. What he didn’t know was that Thomas Jefferson died earlier on the same day! (Independence Day 1826)
– Speaking of Thomas Jefferson, he believed that you could prevent coming down with ‘catarrhs’ by soaking your feet in a bucket of cold water. This sickness is also known as the common cold.
– Many of our presidents are fairly tall and rather statuesque. Not so for for James Madison, who only stood 5’4″. He is the shortest president on record.
– To honor James Monroe, a city in Africa took his name. Monrovia is the capital of Liberia.
– SCANDAL ALERT! John Quincy Adams had a fondness for skinny dipping. In the Potomac. In the mornings. (I feel the vapors coming on.)
– Andrew Jackson had a sense of humor. He taught his parrot to cuss and a popular story has said parrot cussing at Jackson’s funeral!
– Who was the first full American president? Martin Van Buren- all the presidents before him were born as British subjects.
– I knew I liked this guy. Abraham Lincoln was a licensed bartender. He was part owner of a saloon in Illinois called Berry and Lincoln.
– Andrew Johnson was a trained tailor. He even made his own suits while in the White House.
– This ranks under the heading- You’ve got to be kidding me! Ulysses S. Grant was given a speeding ticket while riding his horse in Washington D.C. It was for $20.
– William Taft got stuck in his bathtub! He had to call staffers to come help him get out. (I would have died of embarrassment!)
– William Harding had a fondness for gambling. So much so, he lost an expensive set of White House china in a poker game. Hmmmmmmmm
– John F. Kennedy’s own father wrote in a college application to Harvard that his son was careless and lacked application. He still got in.