It’s been a fairly stressful and sad couple of months for me. My father spent a month in the hospital and passed away. I miss him every minute of every day. That being said, it’s time to claim my life back and move forward. How do we do that? How do we bounce back from such a loss? I think I’ve found the secret, and it’s easy. And it doesn’t cost a penny.
Here’s some things it can do for you:
1. Studies in the U.K. have shown that a single smile can generate the same amount of brain activity as eating 2,000 chocolate bars. Whoa! Talk about saving some calories. It’s also equal to the same as getting $25,000 dollars. Chalk up a few smiles everyday and you can truly say, “I feel like a million bucks!”
2. Another study showed that baseball players who smiled on their baseball cards had a longer life span as a whole than those that didn’t. Weird, huh?
3. If you say “cheeks” instead of “cheese” when you take a picture, it will be much better. It will shape your mouth nicely and force your lips up into a natural smile with the k at the end.
4. A smile is universal. Everyone on the whole planet understands that language. While hugs, kisses, bows etc. have multiple meanings in different cultures, a smile will go anywhere.
5. Psychologists have found that smiling will boost your mood. This is true even if you force yourself to pull those lips up at the corners! The physical motion of smiling instantly releases endorphins.
6. Smiling pumps up the immune system. What?!? Yes, it’s true. Your body relaxes every time you smile which promotes good health and a better working immune system.
7. Do you want to start an epidemic? Then start smiling! People have a very difficult time frowning when someone is smiling at them and will almost unconsciously smile back. It’s contagious!
8. Here’s a biggie for the women- Men find women who smile wearing NO make-up more attractive than models perfectly made up, but stonefaced. Yay!
Here’s the flip side. Women do NOT find smiling men more attractive than a brooding one at first glance. (This is only for first looks- it’s not indicative to who they are attracted to as a mate.)
9. Doctors say babies smile in their sleep from the very beginning and conscious smiles start around 4-6 weeks.
10. You are much more likely to get a promotion if you smile frequently. That’s pretty cool.
There’s no down side to smiling. I think I’ll start right now.