I’m battling jet lag because I just returned from a fabulous trip to S.E. Asia. Sheesh! This old body doesn’t bounce back like it used to when travelling. It was so nice to go back to the home of my heart since I spent almost 18 years living in Malaysia, Singapore, and Thailand. What a lucky girl I am.
Here’s some things you might not know about Singapore!
- Singapore is an island at the tip of the Malaysian peninsula.
- You can find the national anthem written in micro-text on the back of the $1000 note.
- A prince from Palembang thought he saw a lion when first exploring and so it was called The Lion City. There were never any lions there. He probably saw a tiger. Now, they do have the iconic Merlion guarding the city.
- Singapore is one of three remaining city-states left in the world. Monaco and The Vatican are the others.
- They have a Coke machine that dispenses the soda when you hug it. No, really. You hug it. It’s located at the university campus.
- ACK! The cartoon network thought Singapore was located in Malaysia. Talk about a faux pas. Sigh. It is NOT part of Malaysia or China as many people seem to think.
- The British Council did some research and they concluded that Singaporeans are some of the fastest walkers around. Their speed is kinda like a bumble bee flitting around.
- The youngest person to pass the “O” level exam for Chemistry was a Singaporean. He was 7 years old!! Wow! I feel dumb.
- There was a two-part episode of Hawaii 5 0 filmed in Singapore. It was actually done while I was in high school there. Many of us were extras milling around in the show!
- There’s a Singapore, Michigan. What?!?
- The Bukit Timah Nature Reserve has more species of trees than the whole of North America.
- Singaporeans can vote in British elections. They are part of the British Commonwealth countries.
- Here’s some pretty pictures of this wonderful country!