I apologize for not creating our Friday Fun Facts for several weeks. Life took over with the clean up and sale of my parents’ house, trips to New Mexico, Dallas, Nacogdoches, and Fredericksburg, Tx., Christmas, and far too much fun!
Let’s see what’s in store for us today about thumbs:
- 6,000,000 years ago hominids developed thumbs.
- Ancient Rome spectators decided the fate of gladiators by giving a thumbs-up or a thumbs-down. Not a good position to be in!
- In The Middle Ages, merchants sealed business transactions with a thumbs-up.
- During World War II, American soldiers spread the gesture throughout Europe as a means of communication.
- In the Twenty-first century, thumbs turn horizontal for testing purposes.
- The man with the largest recorded hand is from China. His thumb measured 10.2 inches in length.
- “Under someone’s thumb” means to be in their control. Who knew the thumb was so powerful?!?
- Scientist think that one of the reasons we have moved to the top of the animal kingdom is because we have truly opposable thumbs.
- Thumbs only have 2 bones.