We all know it’s coming. No matter if you voted, or who you voted for in the U.S. presidential elections, we know it will be a moment to remember. Good or bad.
I’ll bet you didn’t know some of these wild facts about past inaugurations!
(Please. This is not for political commentary on current politics.)
- George Washington’s inaugural speech came in as the shortest. The brief, and I mean brief, time at the podium consisted of 135 words. Boom! He’s done.
- John Quincy Adams was fashion forward. He was the first president sworn in wearing long trousers.
- Thomas Jefferson was the first to be inaugurated at the Capitol. He’s also been the only president to walk to and from his glory moment! (Jimmy Carter walked to it, but rode home.)
- Abraham Lincoln was the first to include African-Americans in his parade-1865.
- Women weren’t included in a parade until the 2nd inauguration of Woodrow Wilson- 1917.
- Harry Truman’s was the first to be televised-1949.
- Lyndon Johnson was the first and only president to be sworn in by a woman, US District Judge Sarah Hughes-1963.
- All presidents until 1937 were sworn in in March to avoid potential bad weather. An amendment to the Constitution changed the date to January 20th.
- Theodore Roosevelt has been the only president not sworn in with a Bible.
- In 1953 Dwight D. Eisenhower was lassoed by a cowboy who rode up to him on a horse! Bet that’ll never happen again!
- No one throws a party like Old Abe!!!! His inaugural party was so wild, they had to call the police in! Whoa- now that’s a party.