Sexual Assault- It happens.
- 1 in 6 women and 1 in 33 men will be a victim of sexual assault.
- Every 98 seconds someone experiences this.
- Good news! The number in the US has fallen by more than half since 1993.
- Still…only 6 out of every 1000 rapists ends up in jail.
- Every 8 minutes the victim is a child.
- 60,000 children are victims in a year.
- 55% of the assaults occur at or near the victims home.
- 12% occur at or near a relatives home.
- There is help and healing!!– https://www.rainn.org/about-rainn (Rape, Abuse, Incest National Network)
- A Definition- Sexual assault is a sexual act in which a person is coerced or physically forced to engage against their will, or non-consensual sexual touching of a person.
- Another place of healing!!– http://www.joyfulheartfoundation.org/about-us/our-story This was started by the actress Mariska Hargitay who plays on Law and Order SVU.
“But what really opened her eyes—and subsequently, her heart—was the fan mail she received. The letters didn’t say, “I love your show. Can you send me an autographed picture?” They said, “I was raped when I was fifteen. I’m forty now and I’ve never told anyone.” Survivors were disclosing their stories to her, many for the first time.
The fact that these individuals were revealing something so personal to someone they knew only as a character on television demonstrated to Mariska, and to all of us, how desperate they were to be heard, believed, supported and healed.
Her response was to create Joyful Heart.”
- How You Can Participate! If you love to write or read, check out this great auction doing wonderful things!!!!!!!!!!