August 4, 2017
This summer has passed in a whirlwind of activity. I can’t believe we are already in August and Back To School is right around the corner. I hope your summer was a ton of fun!
I love biographies and I read Eric Clapton’s. Whew- what a life. Look what I found out about other rockers-
- Prince and Sinead O”Connor got into a fight. He used his fists and she spit on him multiple times. He wrote her massive hit “Nothing Compares To You” but was upset when she decided to cover it because he wanted to give it to one of his female protege. Discussion turns into him berating her for cussing during interviews and she calmly told him to go f— himself. The fight was on.
- Legendary producer and songwriter Phil Spector is off his rocker. Crazy. He put a loaded gun to Leonard Cohen’s head. He fired a shot in the studio while working with John Lennon. He also held the Ramones at gunpoint. He held the band captive in a locked room and while he sat at the piano, he made the band listen to him sing “Baby, I Love You”. Multiple times. Until 4:30 in the morning.
I kid you not. This is him in court.
- Izzy Stradlin, guitarist for Guns N’ Roses, had to go pee on the plane. The bathrooms were occupied so he declared, “I’m not waiting any longer.” Sooooooo, he whipped it out and peed in the galley in front of stunned passengers and attendants. His attorney’s defense? He was expressing himself……
- Boy George behaved badly. Surprised? In 2007 a Norwegian escort arrived at Boy George’s house for a naked photo shoot. They had some cocaine and next thing you know, Boy George accuses him of hacking his computer, handcuffs him to the wall (Wait a minute, how do you do this unless you have rings screwed in the wall so you have something to handcuff it to?) Anyway, handcuffed him and pulled out chains and beat him! What?!?!
- In 2000, Slim Shady(Eminem) was arrested for 2 separate gun-related incidents just hours apart. Hmmm, not too smart. Each time was with an unloaded gun.
- Marilyn Manson. Sigh. He got in trouble because he thought rubbing his junk on the head of a security guard was a good idea. He said it wasn’t sexual misconduct. The lawsuit claims that Manson grabbed the guy from behind and improperly touched him. He tried to escape but Manson continued to gyrate his hips and pubic area against his head, neck, and face. Instead of being prosecuted as a sex offender, he got disorderly conduct. Manson’s response was, “It’s a victory for art.” Really?!?!?!?
- Foxy Brown loses it over hair glue. Brown was already on probation for assaulting 2 manicurists when she bought a bottle of hair glue and headed to the bathroom. After 15 minutes the owner knocked and said they were closing. Brown said, I bought this glue and I’ll do what I wanna do.” Then the door was flung open and Brown tried to squirt the glue into the owner’s eyes and knocked over a shelf of bottles while using every cuss word known to man. The cop had to use a takedown maneuver. Talk about anger management!
- Britney Spears has a few moments too. Her first marriage to a childhood friend lasted 55 hours. She had her first baby and promptly started teaching it to drive. She stopped wearing shoes in public bathrooms then shaved her head to feel normal. Outrageous behavior or just sad?
May 9, 2017
★ It’s fun
Every month you get a clean slate. If you write anything at all, you get 1 point. If you write 750 words or more, you get 2 points. If you write two, three or more days in a row, you get even more points. It’s fun to try to stay on streaks and the points are a way to play around with that. You can also see how others are doing points-wise if you’re at all competitive that way. How I see it, points can motivate early on, and eventually the joy of writing will kick in and you’ll be writing without any external motivation at all.
YOU’LL ALSO LEARN ABOUT YOURSELF!
May 2, 2017
I like snark. I’m a snarky person. People fear my snark. Naw, just kidding. They either roll their eyes, are clueless, or engage in a snark war.
So it’s no wonder that this week’s link is a bit on the snarky side. If you like snark, you might like The Oatmeal, too. It’s a silly site with comics that are fun, sometimes tasteless, and at weirdly educational.
Check out the link to the comics on grammar. You just might learn the difference between who and whom.
April 14, 2017
May you and your family have a wonderful, peace filled weekend. To those that celebrate it, Happy Easter!!
March 31, 2017
Now here’s a topic! Pirates have been romanticized, vilified, and sensationalized. What is the truth about them? It’s sometimes stranger than fiction!
- Pirates pierced their ears not to look devilishly handsome, but it was believed if you pierced your ear with precious metal, it was thought to improve one’s eyesight. Even respected seafaring men did it!
- No one has actually ever found a real pirate’s buried treasure map. Never too far from death, most pirates tried to enjoy their money quickly.
- The Jolly Roger with its skull and crossed bones was designed to be scary. It was not used by all pirates, but many in The Spanish Main did use it to strike fear into their victims.
- It is a fact that many pirates had eye patches, hooks, or peg legs. This was a dangerous profession and many of them were maimed.
- Pirates have been around since boats were built. In fact, Julius Caesar was twice captured by Mediterranean pirates!
- There were up to 80 pirates on most boats in contrast to the British which usually had around 30 men aboard.
- A few of the pirate ships were large. Captain Bellamy’s Whydah, for example, had 28 guns and weighed 300 tons!!
- Pirates probably didn’t have talking parrots. Sorry.
- A gang of Pirates from 1714 called the “Flying Gang” were the inspiration behind Jack Sparrow and Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean movies.
- Pirates believed that whistling on a ship could call up a storm.
- They also believed having a woman on board was bad luck!
- Pirates weren’t all men! There were several notorious and totally bad-ass women pirates.
- Here’s another idea as to why so many had eye patches…it’s not because they lost an eye! Patches were worn so one eye would remain constantly adjusted to darkness, which made it easier to fight below deck when boarding ships. The technique was so effective that keeping one eye closed is still a technique used in the military today for night survival.
- Many captains had a pay scale for extra booty if the pirate was injured. The more extensive the injury, the more they got. If fact, injured pirates who continued with that life were held in respect and seen as being very brave.
- People from all social classes became pirates, they weren’t all thugs and thieves.
*** If you loved these facts, you’ll LOVE these books!!
Romance on the High Seas: Seven Swashbuckling Pirate Romances
March 24, 2017
Sexual Assault- It happens.
- 1 in 6 women and 1 in 33 men will be a victim of sexual assault.
- Every 98 seconds someone experiences this.
- Good news! The number in the US has fallen by more than half since 1993.
- Still…only 6 out of every 1000 rapists ends up in jail.
- Every 8 minutes the victim is a child.
- 60,000 children are victims in a year.
- 55% of the assaults occur at or near the victims home.
- 12% occur at or near a relatives home.
- There is help and healing!!– https://www.rainn.org/about-rainn (Rape, Abuse, Incest National Network)
- A Definition- Sexual assault is a sexual act in which a person is coerced or physically forced to engage against their will, or non-consensual sexual touching of a person.
- Another place of healing!!– http://www.joyfulheartfoundation.org/about-us/our-story This was started by the actress Mariska Hargitay who plays on Law and Order SVU.
“But what really opened her eyes—and subsequently, her heart—was the fan mail she received. The letters didn’t say, “I love your show. Can you send me an autographed picture?” They said, “I was raped when I was fifteen. I’m forty now and I’ve never told anyone.” Survivors were disclosing their stories to her, many for the first time.
The fact that these individuals were revealing something so personal to someone they knew only as a character on television demonstrated to Mariska, and to all of us, how desperate they were to be heard, believed, supported and healed.
Her response was to create Joyful Heart.”
- How You Can Participate! If you love to write or read, check out this great auction doing wonderful things!!!!!!!!!!
March 21, 2017
Writer- “Are you an author? Just click here to see how you can submit (or update) information for your own free BookGorilla Author Page. Each author’s page accommodates a brief bio and a full listing of their Kindle titles.”
Reader- “Imagine a single daily email, tailored to your personal reading preferences, featuring the best deals on the best Kindle ebooks, either completely free or at deeply discounted bargain prices.”