June 26, 2018
Ever heard the saying “Red skies at night, sailors’ delight; red skies at morn, sailors be warned”? How about “Rain before seven, clear by eleven”? Turns out these adages have some truth behind them.
The Art of Manliness offers up 22 of these weather proverbs and what they mean. These are so cool. Some I was familiar with and knew the science behind them. But most I had not. Fun stuff here.
Pic I took of a lightning storm at the beach a few weeks ago.
December 12, 2017
Ok, guys. You know how much I love sharing blog posts from The Art of Manliness. Here’s a good one!
How to plan for an escape if you (or your hero) is a POW. Great research info!
November 14, 2017
Here is another gem from the Art of Manliness. What to Do If You’re Being Followed. Not only is this great tactical information for everyone, it’s excellent research for writers. This blog post helps you identify if you are being tailed, the reasons for someone to follow you, how to lose someone on foot and by car, and how to make yourself less followable. You’re welcome.
September 12, 2017
This week’s link comes from one of my favorite blogs, The Art of Manliness. And it’s a great link for anyone who likes bourbon. I, myself, went through
a spell of consuming copious amounts of Jim Beam in my youth. Good times…good times…
There are distinctions between the varying types of bourbons. This link, How to Read a Bourbon Label, gives the skinny on bourbon terminology and provides a guide for consumers when buying the next bottle of whiskey. Cheers!
September 5, 2017
As writers, we often need to know things about the weather for our books. My first published one talked about an “Ice Tsunami”. I had never heard of that phenomena, but I knew I wanted to put it in.
This past week and a half has had weather on all of our minds with Hurricane Harvey. Jenn and I are both proud native Texans and are horrified at the loss our great state has incurred. Now, we have Hurricane Irma barreling down on islands in the Caribbean and will slam into Florida soon. After that? The models have conflicting reports.
Here’s a place for great research and current weather happenings! Stay safe.
January 27, 2017
Happy Friday, everyone! Today is January 27, 2017. Have you ever wondered if this date was special? I thought it’d be fun to check out the 27th and see how it stacks up in history. Let’s see what happened:
- American born sumo wrestler, Akebono Taro, was the first foreigner to be promoted to the highest rank of Yokozuna. 1993
- Germany observes International Holocaust Remembrance Day. 1996
- Western Union discontinues its Telegram and Commercial Messaging services. 2006
- The U.S. Congress approves Indian Territory (now Oklahoma) clearing the way for forced relocation of the Eastern Indians on the “Trail of Tears”. Not our finest moment. 1825
- Lenigrad was liberated from Germany after 880 days. The loss? 600,000 killed. 1944
- The US and North Vietnam come to a “cease fire” thus ending the longest US war and military draft. 1973
- 3 astronauts aboard the Apollo 1 die while still on the launch pad. They were practicing for a two week mission in space. 1967
- 60 countries signed The Outer Space treaty which stated that no country would place nuclear or other weapons of mass destruction into orbit around earth. If any country were to do this, no country would be safe again. 1967
- Michael Jackson’s hair caught on fire while he filmed a Pepsi commercial. 1984
- The Red Army liberates Auschwitz in southern Poland. It was the largest of all the concentration camps and is believed that 1,000,000 people were killed there. 1945
- The US government conducts the first nuclear bomb tests in Nevada. 1951
- Coca Cola starts distribution in the Soviet Union. 12 years after Pepsi, I might add. 1985
- The first sorority is created- Kappa Alpha Theta. 1870
- After accepting the 15th Amendment, Virginia is readmitted to the Union. 1870
- Thomas Edison patents the first electric incandescent lamp. 1880
November 8, 2016
This is a fun site for all your infographic needs, Daily Infographic. They “scour the internet for data visualizations with the best content and design to bring our users facts and figures in the most easily consumed format.” In other words, they just want to make us smarter in an age where people love quick and easy pics. Whatever your heart desires in health, entertainment, food, surviving an apocalypse, just about anything you want or didn’t realize you needed to know. Oh, and they can help create an infographic should you need one.
Check them out. http://www.dailyinfographic.com/
Here’s a nifty infographic on blood stain analysis. Handy for writers and potential criminals.