Carla Rossi is an award winning author and happens to be my critique partner. She has a keen eye for story and will find even the smallest grammatical blunder…I know, she’s found all of mine! http://carlarossi.com/editing/
She has attended PENCON 16, the Proofreaders and Editors Network Conference and is a pending member in the Editorial Freelancers Association and has been published since 2008!
“In the first round edits, I will read your completed MS and use Track Changes to make notes and comments. I usually make general story suggestions in an e-mail when I return the MS to you. I offer examples, when possible, by way of light rewriting. First round edits include:
- identifying plot holes and checking the clarity and overall development of the story
- Does the story start in the right place? Does it follow a logical path? Is it consistent?
- establishing that the characters are well-developed and believable
- Have you written realistic, authentic, and multi-layered characters, and do they follow a natural and consistent arc through the story?
- checking for POV issues
- Are you writing in the best possible POV for the scene/story/character and for your market?
- identifying possible problems with word choice, awkward sentences, story gaps, show-don’t-tell issues, and other general writing mistakes
- identifying common errors in grammar and word usage”